Saturday, March 31, 2007

Your Considerate M'sian Movie-goer

I believe I am not the only one with complaints.

Aren't we all already familiar, and if not weary about how Malaysians can be in cinemas?

You have your usual mobile phone beeping and ringing shrilly, even though there were advertisements to remind everybody to turn-off their phones, or at least switch it to silent mode.
You have your typical 'joker', who thinks he is so funny by repeating line for line of the characters dialogue in the movie, even though it just happened on screen itself.
You have your ravenous being, who just can't seem to eat his chips and pop-corn with his mouth closed. (But mummy never taught me how to... whatever dude)
You have your loud and obnoxious 'story-teller' who of all times, decide to tell whoever it is sitting next to him what he was doing the week before.
And sometimes you even have some fella who even though realises he has a case of athlete's foot, but is still proud and wants to show it off by propping his stinky feet on the vacant (sometimes even occupied) seat in front of him.


And although this is being highlighted again and again, if not by the cinema authorities and even articles in newspapers, it seems like the majority of Malaysians still don't care. It really is a sad thing to know that the considerate Malaysians (like me of course) are just a minority of the population and are getting rarer in existence.

Is it really that hard for a person to shut off his hand phone, shut up for just the 2 to 2 and a half hour length of the movie and watch it in silence?

Let me recount a few of my 'pleasant' experiences in cinemas:

Movie: Mr. Bean's Holiday
You can say that I was extremely 'lucky' to get a seat for this movie, what with today being a public holiday and all. What I mean by 'lucky' is, the first row of seats facing the screen.
Seated next to me was this plump boy (believe me when I say I have nothing against plump people), who immediately kicked off his slippers and put his feet on the railing before us. Fine.

Never mind the hard task of leaning my head back as far as possible to watch the movie, what I couldn't stand was having to put up with the smell of his reeking feet throughout the whole show.

Movie: The Banquet
I caught this movie quite some time after it was released. So you could say I had one of the better seats throughout my 'movie-watching life'. I was thinking, this movie's gonna be a breeze... when suddenly in comes this senior uncle (and I have nothing against old people as well, I swear) who sits one row behind me. Not long after the movie starts, the faint smell of sweaty feet sweeps past my nostrils. I ignore it of course.

Some time later, I feel someone kicking the back of the seat I'm sitting in. I turn my head around (pure reflexes, everyone would do it) and before I am able to fully turn it, what do I see to my right but two old feet, propped in between seats, right on top of the arm rests. Gosh uncle, just because the seats to my right are vacant, that doesn't mean you can just put them there you know!!!

Not wanting to miss anymore of the movie, I decided to keep quiet and turned my attention back to the movie. However, it wasn't the last of my troubles. Somewhere towards the further side of my right, some fella's phone began to ring (it was one of those monotone ring tones that you just cannot tahan). Instead of turning it off and silencing it, the bugger actually let it continue to disturb the peace and quiet of everyone else who was trying to concentrate on the movie. There were shushes from the crowd but it didn't seem like the fella heard it. This continued for about 2 whole minutes, when the bugger finally decided to pick up his phone, and answer it in the cinema with a loud and sleepy voice. Voice outs from the crowd like "Woi, bising la." and "Shhhhhh!" didn't seem to register in his head. After 2 whole minutes of torture, the fella finally stopped talking and walked out the cinema. There you have it, 5 whole minutes of showtime destroyed by some idiot who doesn't understand the meaning of SHUT UP!
Sigh. For once I do wish that I can actually sit through a movie without any disturbances.
When will this ever happen? In a few hundred years maybe (and I think I'm being quite generous =.=).
Forgive the rant but, Yong-sama has never once forgotten to put her hand phone in silent mode while catching a movie in the cinema.

1 comment:

ChaosGenesis said...

sadly..i'm guilty of 1 count of disturbing d peace in a cinema....

4 sum reaosn..d LOCK buttonn on my phone was not engaged (cud swear it was b4 i put it in my pocket..) n so i heard sum music playing fr d front of me...so did my fren n we were kind complaiing 2 each other about y d bugger wud listen2 head phones (sum1 looked d part) so friggin loud...no nd watch d movie ar? den...a lady from 2 rows in front kind of complained...but d music KEPT playing...

ahwile later my fren sms-ed me (yes silent mode..vibation ok :P) n i took out my hp...oni 2 discover d playlist running -_____________-" so it was MY hp...rly sry 2 all dose dat i distracted ....but i stil cant understand y d sound source sounded like it came fr d front (my frenz agreed...1 on d left n d other on my right)

 
Designed by Lena