Saturday, June 19, 2010

Crazy things you do in life?

I think of the weirdest thoughts in the most funniest of situations...

Take last night, I was in the bathroom, brushing my teeth, looking myself in the mirror and telling myself over and over again, "I want whiter teeth, I want whiter teeth..." When suddenly, I recalled one incident, during a walk back from our dinner on my last vacation in Melbourne, where a friend (yes, my dear Sue-Anne) was telling me about one of the ice-breaker sessions she had. Introducing themselves, they each had to relate the most daring thing that they've done in their lives. And for her, she said that hers was bungee jumping, done the last time she was in New Zealand.

That got me thinking: "What WAS the most daring thing that I've ever done in my life?" And well, try as I might, I just couldn't think of anything! And gosh, wouldn't it have been so embarassing if I was at an ice-breaker session, and having the same question posed to me, all I would be able to answer was a measely...
"Uhh, most daring thing? Uhh... climbing over the school walls in a baju kurung just to play hookey? Or uhh... sneaking into an 18-rated movie when I was only 15?"
My goodness, that would have sounded so lame. Lol.

I mean come on, I see people around me achieving and attempting the most daring or challenging feats ever to exist in life. I have friends who have done bungee jumping; I have friends who have scaled Mount Kinabalu and are attempting it again next year; I know people who have done street racing in a proton saga; I know of someone who managed to drive home safe even though she was feeling horribly drunk and awful from it; I even know of someone who has cycled almost 30km to and fro from work just to train for an upcoming triathlon...

And here I am, at 22, supposedly being at the peak of my youth (although I don't feel at my peak at all, taekwondo seems to be proving otherwise and I heartily agree with my tightening muscles...) and having achieved nothing much of a daring feat save climbing over a wall in a baju kurung. Lol. And hey, it's not like I haven't been given any chances, didn't I just come back from New Zealand, and yet, fail to try out bungee jumping?

My goal in life has always been to live it to the fullest. But *sigh*, sometimes I wonder if I will really be going anywhere. I don't deny that I've been given opportunities and chances to try the things I've wanted to try, but when I look back at it, I wonder if I really did make the best out of it.

I am 22 (actually I haven't even turned 22 yet), have a lifetime ahead of me, but yet, here I am, stuck at making a further decision with what I want to do in life. Growing up in a very much typical Asian family, I am left wondering and worrying if the decisions I make now would be a let down of the expectations people have of me. And with this, it pretty much puts me down when I think about what I really want to do in life, what I really want to do when I still can do it.

What happened to "living life to the fullest"?
I don't know...

What if God decides to take me much sooner than I expect? I don't want to leave life here on earth having achieved nothing better but climbing over walls in a baju kurung!

I want to do something crazy. I want to achieve something in my life that spells out: "This girl is one heck of a girl" when people hear about it. But I wonder if I ever will.

Ah nuts, the things I think about when I'm in the bathroom...
Lol...

2 comments:

tInKy said...

hey gal.

Just because you have not attempted 'stupid daring' things, does not mean you have not lived it to the fullest.

An example is how you have given your all in both electone and taekwondo training. Not many people have such discipline and passion. That is also living life to the fullest.

I guess we are all in our early twenties now wondering what lies ahead for us as true young adults. Because I have the same thoughts. Where do I go from here.

Talk more when I get home! Whee! 3 more days. Just 3 more days. Omg they are such longs days >.<

Jia Ling said...

Imo daring is defined differently for different people. It's a rather relative thing.

It may be something that u won't usually have the courage to do it.

Like for me, doing a flying fox (almost typed firefox lol), or even to some guys, to confess to the girls they like may be a very daring thing too haha

I once drove at a different traffic direction in one of the streets in KL... i wud say that is more like risking ur life than daring

N living life to the fullest is a diff thing altogether, like what sa said ;)

 
Designed by Lena