Friday, January 18, 2008

Wasn't Meant to Be

Har! I bet most of you are thinking - Oh yes, finally this girl here is going to reveal something about her private love life that was...
or that is...
or that will be...
or that would have been...

BAAAATSU! (Means wrong in Japanese)

Ima here to talk about something else.

Remember me mentioning once that as a "New Year's Resolution" I'd make sure that my blueberry muffins would successfully turn out golden brown instead of the muddy green colour that happened the first time? (No? Go read my older posts lah.)

Well, looks like it was never meant to be...


It was a Wednesday. One of the nicer days of the week in which I do not have any classes or any other obligations. So, casting aside my precious Wednesday afternoon in which I could have taken a little nap or even do a little bit of studying on my part, I decided to give the muffins another try.

And a horrible afternoon it turned out to be indeed. T______T

1st incident:
I realised at the last minute that we've ran out of milk.
Not a big problem whatsoever. I immediately dispatched little brother the milk and delivery boy to purchase a small carton from the grocery shops near my home. He took quite a few minutes to complete his simple task, but finally he came strolling home, milk and change in his hand.
Problem solved in 10 minutes.

2nd incident:
As I was halfway through making the batter for the muffins, I opened the cupboard and got the shock of the day.
There were only 5 muffin paper cups left. How was I to freaking fit such a big batter into only 5 cups? Even if I did try the result would have been ridiculous. Imagine having to gobble down a muffin the size of a football!
However, it wasn't as if the problem was impossible to solve either. Off went mum and dad to Carrefour to purchase some extra paper cups.
Problem solved in 20 minutes.

3rd incident:
Returning from Carrefour, mum handed me the plastic bag with the paper cups.
*Opens the bag* *GASP* "Mummy!!! What is this!?"
Snuggled in the bag were paper cups the size of barely a third of my muffin mould. Sad to say my mum didn't even check the sizes of the paper cups before purchasing it. And I even gave her a sample to bring along to compare!!! (She said she didn't bring it out of the car, at that time I was like seriously nani sakana -wtfishes- already)
No big deal, mum hurriedly rushed to a bakery near our home and managed to purchase the paper cups of the right size.
*Phew, finally!*
Problem solved in 20 minutes.

Last and final incident:
The batter is done. The muffin mould has been lined with the paper cups. I'm super confident that my recipe has improved greatly this time, and I even believed that the colour would turn out better this time.

But as I said, it was all not meant to be.

Before spooning the batter into the cups, I take out the oven and turn it on, leaving it to heat up. Once done, I start spooning the batter into the cups. I'm almost done, and smiling with glee. "Ah..." I thought to myself, "... both my family and college mates are gonna enjoy this batch of muffins!" Putting down the spoon, I turn to regard the oven. And then...

*Pak* *Pak* I hear some weird sound from the oven. Curious, I move towards the oven. Looking at the temperature needle, I get the second shock of the day. "Eh? I've left it on for almost 15 minutes already, why is it still pointing at 100 degrees Fahrenheit?" Gingerly, I reach out to touch the oven's base. "Heh? Not hot also?"

And then it dawned on me. "Oh CRAP! Don't tell me the freaking thing fused!?"

So off I rushed upstairs to ask dad to take a look at it. Well he did, and he even changed the fuse of the switch, but it still wouldn't work. "I don't know what's wrong lah..." Dad said before retiring back upstairs.

Wiping my hands on a towel, I sat down at the kitchen table in dismay. Throwing the towel on the floor, I had to restrain myself from shouting out loud which would have certainly not been a good thing.

"WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHY!!!!!!!!?" (In the world did this have to happen)

The End


And so you have it, the tale of the muffins that was not meant to be. Okay, I have to admit lah, the paper cups and the milk thing was kind of my fault for not checking and informing my mum about the shortage earlier. But yea, the oven's still not fixed and I don't know when my dad would seriously get down to see what the real problem is, or even if my mum would purchase a new one (which I'm sure she really wants but may not be able to). So I don't think I'll be doing baking for a long time to come. And just when Chinese New Year is around the corner. T_T

Epilogue
As we didn't want to waste the batter, and it was getting late already, mum suggested we put the whole thing into the microwave to cook it. And so we did, after about 2o minutes in the microwave, it was done.

The result?
Well, the "cake" had some streaks of mouldy colour. But frankly, it didn't taste all that bad, although it didn't have the aroma it should have had if it was baked. And since it was microwaved, the sides were a little dry as compared to the middle.

Ah well, I didn't dare offer it to my college mates, but at least I'll have something to snack on in the afternoons when I'm feeling hungry. Yup, I'm glad I have my "Blueberry Muffin Cake" to accompany me through my boring and hungry afternoons.

10 comments:

ChaosGenesis said...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAAHHAHAHA....

oops.. i'm supposed 2 emphatize wid u... okok.. jus let me finish laughing...


HAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH......

sry abt dat... ok ...

*empathy*

aww... poor yong....

gues some tings jus arent meant 2 b huh? :) well dun wry... i'm sure it'll all turn out well... eventually :)

like dey say...

SHIT happens...

but in ur case... it wasn ALL dat shitty... hell.. u had a cake to end d day wid... not bad at all right? :)

take care yong!

ps - i liked d nani sakana part :)

tInKy said...

HEHEHE! Cute post I must say. I understand ur frustration. Though, u still did end up w sth at least :D

maybe, things will work out in a diff and better way? :D Waaa.. if u're making CNY treats, Im migrating to ur hse :P

HAHA! Migrating >.<

magmachilli said...

NANI SAKANA! LOLZ...

Yong-Sama said...

Ooo... Laugh until like that =.= haha

Yea nani sakana rox XD

And yes I was planning to try to cook up some treats.. but bleh, looks like it's not happening haha XD

Anonymous said...

lol..no idea wat nani sakana means..should be something like wtf?

walau too much wei qh..

interesting story wy..im sure u will be able to achieve ur resolution soon :D (at least once ur oven gets fixed..)

Yong-Sama said...

yea which may possibly next year as well, which would also mean i'd have broken my resolution. XD

ah well, new year resolutions are always made to be broken lol

ChaosGenesis said...

hahaha... yes it does :D

nani sakana is literally WHAT FISH... but its supposed 2 b what the fish lar... i asked yong dis Q during one of our TSOs...

ahaha... oh well... poor us... no 'haou fook' :)

i dun rly make em... so.... hahaha...

Anonymous said...

Lol.. there's more than 300 days left in dis year leh. Plenty time 2 make it again! =D
N as they say, "failure is the mother of success" Lah~XD

Anonymous said...

lol..wats this failure failure n things r meant to be broken..cannot la so fast give up..where is ur spirit le?

u can always find someone's oven :D..i suggest QH's punya :D..looks modern n cool :D..i just got fascinated by it when i saw it :D (i think i asked qh lots of qs bout his oven LOL..fetish :D)

Yong-Sama said...

lol oven fixed d XD

but i have to find time to bake.. probably during CNY hols XD

 
Designed by Lena