Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Clash of Excitement, Fun and Awesomeness

Darn... I don't know how to start this post. Words just can't describe how I felt two nights ago.

Well I guess I should first say what happened two nights before then. As most tennis fans would surely be aware of, Thursday night was the night where current tennis world number one Roger Federer faced off against former world number one Pete Sampras in an exhibition match named "Clash of the Times" on our very own Malaysian soil in Malawati Stadium, Shah Alam.

And being an extremely big fan of Roger Federer and his beautiful on-court play and moves, surely I couldn't bear to miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime kinda opportunity! After just a little persuasion on my parents behalf, I found myself sitting in row N in the stadium at 8pm on Thursday night, feeling a little over-the-top as I waited impatiently for the two tennis greats to show themselves.

Yup, that's the view from my camera from my RM83 seat. See that tiny spec in black on the court? That's Jaclyn Victor providing some entertainment before the match started. Oh and did you know the VVIPs present at the match were the Yang-dipertuan Agong, the Sultan of Selangor and also Dato' Seri Mohd. Najib among others.

You should've heard the crowd scream when both Sampras and Federer entered the court. Well it is expected isn't it? They are after all, the greats, Pete Sampras and Roger Federer.


This is the maximum zoom my lousy camera would allow me to take from where I was. Well, not too clear but it's better than nothing. XD

I can't exactly describe how I felt watching the both of them play, but to put it simply I felt excited, awed and extremely blessed to have had the opportunity to actually see Roger Federer in the flesh with my own eyes (and not through a tv screen) and hear his voice with my own ears (although the sound system there wasn't all that good what with the echo bouncing back and all).

Sitting so far up (that's what you get when you can't afford front row seats LOL), it was a good thing I brought my binoculars as I greedily took in the full features, the posture and stance, and the powerful serves of both Roger and Pete. Well I wasn't the only one hogging the bino though, dad also wanted his share of the Roger-Pete view.

The only thing I regret, would be the missed opportunity to grab hold of one of those big tennis balls being sold by Wilson outside the stadium and running up to both Roger and Pete to ask for their autographs. Would I even have the guts to squirm past security? I seriously don't know. But it's not impossible for sure, as my friend's mum managed to evade all security and rushed right up to Roger at his reception in Starhill. Her reward? His beautiful autograph on her bag of course.

Ah, but I'm not without souvenirs either. My memories of the match would always stay with me (unless I lose my memory or mind for that matter). And now I have more motivation to work towards my next goal... to sit in the front row and watch Federer play at any one of the Grand-slams. XD However if this is to be achieved I really have to work fast and hard, as Federer is already 26, but I believe he'll still stay on and be the world number one for many years to come.





Yong-sama has always been a big fan of Federer's back-hand slice and not so much of Pete Sampras' superb serve-volley style (I was a pro-Agassi girl). Wimbledon/Aussie Open, here I come!!!

5 comments:

ChaosGenesis said...

haha....seems u had a rly good time watching ur fav tennis player on court in person ^^

all the best in achieving dat goal den ^^ we support u!

magmachilli said...

the court looks so low class...

putting that aside, thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Anonymous said...

nice stuff :D

Yong-Sama said...

haha well if you compare it to the grand slams and masters of course it is..

and our linesman are such an embarrassment... when someone makes a service fault you're supposed to call "FAULT" right, so this dude here kept calling "OUT" and the referee had to like correct him (kinda override what he said) twice in like 5 mins.. and Sampras had the "wth!?" kinda face lol

Anonymous said...

Lol.. funny linesman..

swt..LOL ur friend's mum... or izit ur mum's friend.. hmm.. wait i forgot.. anyway she was damn funny lar~ LOL

If it was me i'll definitely DEFINITELY go up, evade all securities n mayb even fake an ID to get close up lor~ Once in a life time wor~

Last time i did sth stupid oh well n kenny sia zhar me in his blog (long time ago lar~ LOL)

N u know ar my friend went to toilet at Pyramid n when he was abt to pee he saw Paul Moss peeing at the cubicle next to him. Then he said, "Hi Paul Moss~" *waves his hand abit*
And.. and.. he said Paul Moss just managed a small grin.. He was damn malu n abit embarrased according to me fren...

Oh well.. of all place to meet a celeb... toilet LOL

Next time just rush in front wy.. dun b afraid.. n mayb federer will rmbr u 4ever!!!
Altho in d wrong way~ =P

 
Designed by Lena