Monday, September 01, 2008

The big Two-Oh

Note: This post was written on an earlier date. I'm just re-typing what I originally wrote down on paper. And hmm... am I the only person on my blog list who likes doing this? I seem to be the only one blogging about my own birthday... Like so SS only. Lol.

***

Birthdays go by so fast, don't you agree?

It's an hour away from the end of my 20th birthday as I'm writing this. I wanted to blog actually, but I guess bad luck just hit me in the face again today - my computer got fried by lightning.

Seriously, I can't believe I'm finally 20. Looking at my age change from the number '1' to '2' in front kind of disturbs me actually. I can't explain why but when I kept seeing that number '20' accompanying so many of my birthday messages today, I just couldn't help but feel old at the thought of it.

I guess you can say 20 years isn't really such a long time at all, as compared to our parents, grandparents and etc who have lived waaaaay, waaaay longer to see the age of 50,70 and some even 100 if they're really lucky (or unlucky, whichever way you may see it). But, as far as I'm concerned, and seeing it through my own eyes, I believe I have the right to say I've come a long, long way.

Gone is that tiny infant who had so much hair (according to my mum); gone is that cute little toddler who used to walk up to that long, dangling pink panther in the baby store and hug it like it was her own every time she was there; gone is that shy girl who was really sensitive; gone is that angsty teen who used to lose her temper at home so easily; gone are the past 20 years of my life. And in it's place, now stands... me.

Isn't it interesting how one's experiences in life actually helps shape and build one's character? Well, I guess the person I am today has in one way or another, been moulded by everything that has happened to me, both directly and indirectly for that whole 20 years. Like everybody else, I've had my fair share of experiences and memories. Some sweet, some sad, some horrifying, some scary, some funny and some even just plain boring. And every time I look back on them, the way I reacted to certain things just never fails to amuse me.

Do I feel lucky and thankful to be standing where I am today? I certainly do. I believe I've said this many times before, but I'll just repeat it again for the sake of making this paragraph more understandable - I never believed I'd live so long to see myself turn 20 (or 30,40,50 for that matter, but that is the future in which I certainly cannot predict). But look, here I am today, 20 years old and not getting any younger at all. Lol.

*Sigh* I sure miss the good-ole-days when the worries and expectations of the world was just a distant bother which rarely touched the frills of our life. I remember I was so eager to grow up as quickly as I could. But now, it's hard to deny that I don't want to grow up at all. >.<

I can dream all I want, but I guess there's just no denying the fact that I have to grow up, is there? ;)
And so grow up I will, and what better way to do it than to accept that fact with a positive mind. =D

Right, I believe you've grown bored of all my blabbering and yakking like that of an old crone (this just goes to prove that I AM getting old), so I guess I'll just end the post.

I won't comment on the past, and neither will I comment on my future. All I'll say is, I'm thankful to finally be 20, and I do hope that I'll live twice as long to be able to say something like this in another 20 years.

Someone dear to me has always said, "The future holds endless possibilities." I'll hold on to that for now, and look forward eagerly to whatever it is that is in store for me.

Cheers, to 20 years of a good life.

Wan Yong
28/8/08 12.10a.m.


PS - Thank you all for your kind birthday wishes and presents.

7 comments:

ChaosGenesis said...

dunu if ur d oni one.. but i'm sure ur one of d few :D

last time.. not rly.. but recently.. yea.. dey ARE goin by a lil fast :D

ahaha... rmbr 2 turn it off d next time u c flashes of light :P

awww... ur not OLD lar ;)

oh.. i'm sure u have come a long long way.. 20 years is aft all.. a very long time (u'd prolly oni get like 3-5 '20 years' in a lifetime)

hahahhaa... well.. i'm glad dose more 'extreme' traits are gone... huhu... but i'm sure some traces of dose tings still remain ;)

mmm.. n dats how ppl come 2 b who dey are.. thru everything dey've experienced ^^

hahahahahaha... dun wry.. i'm confident u'll live a full life :) HAHHAHAHAHAA...

oooo... same here :D woot~ GMTA

well.. growing up has its benefits *wink*

LOL... no lar.. ur not old :P

dun wry... u will :D

hehehe... i tink dat future of urs... is pretty bright ;)

ur welcome LOL

Yong-Sama said...

Hahah.. thanks for the "I'm not old" reassurances =p

Quotes:
i tink dat future of urs... is pretty bright ;)

I certainly hope so =)

Jia Ling said...

Well, honestly speaking... The "Happy *20th* Birthday Wan Yong!" was quite done on purpose... :P

*Note: 20th was supposed to be bolded and of a larger font size XD

Do use your birthday presentsss!! :D

ChaosGenesis said...

hehee... np ;)

:) i'm pretty sure it wil b :D

Yong-Sama said...

JL: Lol.. it's a good thing you can't really bold letters in sms huh? Yes, I'll try to find maximum usage for it. XD

Qh: =D

シーフアンリン said...

Tanjoubi omedetou! Itsuka, anata no tameni keiki wo tsukurimasu!

Yong-Sama said...

Arigatou ^^
Oo I'll be looking forward to that haha!

 
Designed by Lena